The Obraje of Posadas
House and land
Guadalupe Chimalistac Farm
In the region of what was covered by Coyoacán in the vice-royal era, the manufacture of woolen fabrics developed for a long time in the so-called obrajes that operated for little more than a century throughout the seventeenth century and little more.
The foundation of the Posadas family's obraje was carried out by Julián Díaz de Posadas in 1636. A resident of Mexico City, he declared that he did not know how to read or write, owning a garden and enough house to do a work with his slaves in town of Coyoacán, on the way to San Ángel; on the old Camino Real to San Ángel (today Calle del Arenal). The perimeter that the establishment occupied was bordered to the east by the old Altillo church while to the south by Chimalistac.
According to what is marked in the Ordinances on the need to have black slaves in order to function, as well as to have a license, Posadas in his request asserted that he already had enough black slaves, not to cause any prejudice to the natural neighbors of the place, as to pay 500 pesos common gold for the permit. After taking the testimony of the witnesses that Julián presented… the license to “found the milling mill,” as the authorities call it, is granted in February of the same year, upon payment of the license and under warning of not having between its workers no Indians, only slaves.
The establishment began to function, but Julián Díaz de Posadas could not meet his commitment within the agreed term, so five years later the obrajero was required by the viceregal authorities. Before these, you acknowledge your debt.
It was not until 1662 that Melchor Diez de Posadas obtained permission to resume the operation of the obraje "which produced cloth at the cost of the blood and sweat of its workers, the abuses committed even motivated visits ordered by the Royal Court."
The land of the Posadas obraje was very extensive and was surrounded by a basalt stone wall, these limits of the orchard of the obraje were to the north of the Camino Real from Coyoacán to San Ángel, to the west the road to Mixcoac and the Tequilasco river.
The manor house of the obraje is on two levels with its latticed openings on the first floor, the jambs running up to the high cornice, the central viewpoint with its two slender columns and the corner pilasters that support wooden footings on the second floor.